Mid-West Nissans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wes

July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn Empty
PostSubject: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 pm

I will be doing an HPDE weekend with NASA at Autobahn country club. I am running HPDE which is basically a track day. JUst wanted to post this up to anyone interested in attending. It isn't cheap to run the entire weekend but you will get great instruction and learn a tremendous amount. I am working my way through HPDE to get my time trial license for next year.

Anyway if you plan on attending or are already registered...

Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 am

We are both already registered.

I'm running my Spec Miata in the w2w race and Mike (my hubby) is running the G20 in TTE on the south track! (He set the Time Trial record for E on the south track last year even though the car is a TTF car but this way he can win contingency money!!!)
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:04 am

Chris101 wrote:
We are both already registered.

I'm running my Spec Miata in the w2w race and Mike (my hubby) is running the G20 in TTE on the south track! (He set the Time Trial record for E on the south track last year even though the car is a TTF car but this way he can win contingency money!!!)
Very cool. Do you guys camp at the track? I am likely going to stay overnight and will likely just sleep in the truck or something...

I am looking forward to finally getting out and having it count towards what I want to do in TT.

Didn't mike run a 1:42 or so in the G? I have never timed there before and am curious about my lap times... I really have a lot to learn though and jus want to take good advantage otthe time to get faster...
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 am

Mike set the record last year with a 1:43.077

I did a spec miata race on the South Track this past monday without 4th gear (that was interesting having to either bounce off the rev limiter OR shift up to 5th a lot so I couldn't do better than a 1:47 without 4th gear BUT my record there in the Miata is a 1:43.710 (the G20 and Miata are super close believe it or not!)

If you are heading for Time Trials, start saving now for the AMB transponder!! (cheapest price I found was $380 shipped from on-trackperformance.com here: http://www.on-trackperformance.com/amb_transponders.htm )

BTW Wes, have you figured out yet what TT group your 1.6 turbo fits into? Would it be a TTE car or are you bumped to TTD?
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Chris101 wrote:
Mike set the record last year with a 1:43.077

I did a spec miata race on the South Track this past monday without 4th gear (that was interesting having to either bounce off the rev limiter OR shift up to 5th a lot so I couldn't do better than a 1:47 without 4th gear BUT my record there in the Miata is a 1:43.710 (the G20 and Miata are super close believe it or not!)

If you are heading for Time Trials, start saving now for the AMB transponder!! (cheapest price I found was $380 shipped from on-trackperformance.com here: http://www.on-trackperformance.com/amb_transponders.htm )

BTW Wes, have you figured out yet what TT group your 1.6 turbo fits into? Would it be a TTE car or are you bumped to TTD?

Yeah I am working on things for sure... Trailer purchase, cage, seats, hans, transponder...

I do have a lap timer now that works off a trackside beacon. I plan on setting it up for my first session and maybe my last to gauge what I have learned....

I have looked at some classification stuff but am not 100% sure as I need a current corner weight and dyno.

Do they ever class based simply on power to weight? I am reading through rules and CC7R and am glossing over with the numerous ways of doing things. My base class is TTF with 2325 weight. I know my car is lighter than that by a good margin...
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 am

In case you didn't already know, Time Trials does not require a cage or hans (that is only required if you want to w2w race)

Time Trials only requires the same thing as HPDE PLUS the AMB Transponder.
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Chris101 wrote:
In case you didn't already know, Time Trials does not require a cage or hans (that is only required if you want to w2w race)

Time Trials only requires the same thing as HPDE PLUS the AMB Transponder.

I was aware after reading the rules, however with a wife and younger children I want those items before I get serious about pushing the car hard.
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 am

Nothing wrong with extra safety!

...and it will make it that much easier to move up to w2w if that is your end-goal!!!

Getting used to the Hans is different (I had a few almost panic attacks when I first started using it because of the restricted movement so be prepared for the new adjustment!)
Back to top Go down
mweber

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 am

Adding a turbo or supercharger requires reclassification by the national director.

From the TT or PT rules:
Non-OEM turbo or supercharger, or upgraded or modified turbo/supercharger: engine swap
rules apply—all OEM naturally aspirated vehicles that have been upgraded to forced
induction and forced induction vehicles with an upgraded or modified turbo or supercharger
must be evaluated by the National TT Director on an individual basis for new base
classification based on chassis dynamometer testing and minimum competition weight as in
1) above and in Section 6.5 Dyno Re-classing. After re-classification, modification
points will not be assessed for weight reduction or engine. However, if the power output of
the vehicle is later increased, the participant will have to get the vehicle re-classified again.

I thought I read that your car was putting down about 250whp. Just doing the hp to weight calculation assuming you are at the minimum weight of 2325 lbs, the car ends up in TTA.
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:33 am

You can also did what my friend Steve did at Blackhawk last month and just get yourself put into TTR (Race group has no restrictions and no need to fill out any TT classification form even) just as a way to 'try TT for the first time'

A lot of times no one else is signed up for TTR but you might get stuck against other 'turboed' cars like Miata's, Eclipse or even something like a Radical. If you don't really care about points or winning your first time in TT, TTR is a no-brainer for a no-fuss category that no one would protest.
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:58 am

I was doing some math as well. Does the power to weight calculation include driver? Also I believe you add 1 to the overall ratio because of FWD. If I run on low boost I only make 210-215 whp or so so I am hoping I can figure out a way to run in TTB. I really need to get a weight and current dyno.
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 am

Weight does indeed include the driver Smile

Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 pm

The weekend was a LOT of fun. Best of all I learned a lot and got FASTER! Thanks to Mike and Chris for sharing their home as well as driving experience!

I was very happy with my progress over the weekend and I now know with some car changes it might not be a winning car but I believe I can get it marginally competitive.
Back to top Go down
Chris101

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 am

you are welcome and hope to see you at Gingerman next month Wes!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn   July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn Empty

Back to top Go down

July 17-18 NASA weekend at Autobahn
Page 1 of 1