Mid-West Nissans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Custom Coilovers.

Go down 
+4
Big Ben
insane imports
Riggle
Ian
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian

Ian

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 11:47 pm

As some of you may know, I am building a Nissan 240SX into a Group 2 rally car (check my sig).

During my build I have run into a few issues due to the lack of rally history surrounding the 240SX. One of the major hurdles, is the availability of rally capable suspension. Everybody and their brother is trying to lower their 240s, I want to raise mine. Instead of spending $5000 on custom DMS, Ive decided to build my own.

I got started building my coilovers by taking the OE strut/springs to work to press off the springs.

Custom Coilovers. P1030884

The spring and all the mounting stuff on the left, is useless to me.

Custom Coilovers. P1030885

I started by drilling a small hole in the bottom of the strut tube to drain the oil. These struts were blown, so there was no pressure left in them. If you have unblown struts, be very careful.

Custom Coilovers. P1030888

After letting what oil I could out, I cut off the factory spring perches. It helps if you cut them in half.

Custom Coilovers. P1030890

With the seat off, all thats left is a bead of weld, this will serve as the support for the new seats.

Custom Coilovers. P1030891

With the seat off, I then cut around the top cap.

Custom Coilovers. P1030892

And I slid out the old damper.

Custom Coilovers. P1030893

Bare tubes. Man they are dirty.

Custom Coilovers. P1030895

Cleaned off all the nasty old paint, and rust buildup. The tubes themselves are actually in pretty good shape, despite all the surface rust.

Custom Coilovers. P1030897

As you can see, the new inverted monotube Bilstiens i am using are not quite as long as the factory dampers. This is not ideal for rally, as I would like to have as much travel as possible but I had to start somewhere. At a later date I may switch to a longer unit, though I need to do more research. For the price I can afford to play around. The benefit to everyone else is, a damper this long is perfect for most S chassis owners as it makes lowering the car easier.

Custom Coilovers. P1030898

I decided to chop the bottom of the tube off. This will allow me to make the most of the travel I will have, while also increasing ride height slightly.

Custom Coilovers. P1030899

chopped.

Custom Coilovers. P1030900

Custom Coilovers. P1030901

Thats better.

Custom Coilovers. P1030902

I cut a 2" disk out of 11 gauge steel. This will be the new cap.

Custom Coilovers. P1030903

Custom Coilovers. P1030904

The I drilled a hole. The new dampers are bolted to the bottom of the tubes.

Custom Coilovers. P1030905

Tacked in place.

Custom Coilovers. P1030907

Solid as a rock. I ran the welder real hot to get good penetration.

Custom Coilovers. P1030908

Cleaned up.

Custom Coilovers. P1030909

Custom Coilovers. P1030910

Stock vs shortened.

Custom Coilovers. P1030911

Custom Coilovers. P1030912

Test fitting the damper. Fits like a glove.

Custom Coilovers. P1030913

I will need to modify the upper spring seat, and pillowball mount, but just for fun I put everything else together temporarily. I am using ground control coilovers, Eibach springs, and Tein pillowball camber plates.

Custom Coilovers. P1030915

Custom Coilovers. P1030914

Once I have both tubes modified I will paint them. Im thinking silver, what do you guys think?

I hope to pick up new hardware tomorrow or Tuesday. Hopefully I can get both tubes modified and painted by the end of the week. Then it will be time to start on the rears.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rally240.blogspot.com
Riggle

Riggle

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 1:42 am

Baller. I am about to embark on the same path, however I will be buying housings and Koni 8211 shocks with Tein F&R camber plates/Ground control. Very similar to yours, I just dont have the skill/facilities to make my own housings.

Nice work, cant wait to see the end product!
Back to top Go down
insane imports

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 2:17 am

Looks good, i would go with a silver of some sort on the housings or even a nice black. I never thought about rally racing a 240sx. But after you mentioned it i realised as well that there isnt much support in the suspension department for what you are gonna do with the car.

very cool project.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/insaneimport2000
Big Ben
Admin
Big Ben

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:15 am

Very cool indeed. Great build.
Back to top Go down
Ian

Ian

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 am

insane imports wrote:
Looks good, i would go with a silver of some sort on the housings or even a nice black. I never thought about rally racing a 240sx. But after you mentioned it i realised as well that there isnt much support in the suspension department for what you are gonna do with the car.

very cool project.

Im stuck between Silver, and Bilstien yellow. Im going to wait till I have the rears assembled to decide on a color.
Back to top Go down
pandorasbox

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 9:06 pm

This is very impressive! Great idea man, there certainly isn't a shortage of aftermarket support for HP.

I'm assuming to get started you need to have a 2wd non-turbo car? Have you rallied before?
Back to top Go down
http://www.d-sce.com
200sx se-r kid

200sx se-r kid

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 6:51 am

wow dude this is sick iv never herd of n body doing n thing like this b4 good job. i will deff be watching the progress. and i think you should go with the yellow i.m.o.
Back to top Go down
eidk

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 am

This is an excellent idea. I am slightly curious which groundcontrol sleeves you seleted that will fit the factory nissan strut tubes. What spring rates are you going to give a try?
Back to top Go down
Ian

Ian

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

eidk wrote:
This is an excellent idea. I am slightly curious which groundcontrol sleeves you seleted that will fit the factory nissan strut tubes. What spring rates are you going to give a try?

Ground control sleeves are actually pretty universal, they only have a couple sizes, I just had them send me the correct ID in the length I wanted. As for springs, I got 8" high by 300 lb inch front, and 225 lb inch rear. I think the springs might be too short, but we will see. I have not had a chance to work on the suspension as I got the caged car back, and Ive been wrapping things up, and getting seats mounted so I can paint.
Back to top Go down
Ian

Ian

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Finished up the coils.

Other tube welded up.

Custom Coilovers. P2250007

Cleaned up, and spring perches reinforced.

Custom Coilovers. P2250008

Custom Coilovers. P2250009

Custom Coilovers. P2250010

Coated with zinc phosphate.

Custom Coilovers. P2250011

Custom Coilovers. P2250013

POR 15

Custom Coilovers. P2250016

Custom Coilovers. P2250017

And Primer

Custom Coilovers. P2280013

Custom Coilovers. P2280015

And paint.

Custom Coilovers. P2280021

Color isn't quite what I had wanted, but its close.

Custom Coilovers. P2280022

Reassembled and set aside for later.

Custom Coilovers. P3040007

And installed on the front of the car.

Custom Coilovers. P3080007

Talk about ground clearance.

Custom Coilovers. P3080011

The nice thing is, I could build these any way I want. I could make them shorter, or even taller if I wanted too. I cant wait to get out and test these on some gravel.

Dont forget to check out the whole build at 240SX rally car buildup.
Back to top Go down
insane imports

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Looking good! You should have plenty of clearance how its sitting right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/insaneimport2000
BusinessMan_24

BusinessMan_24

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 am

Excellent work, I’ll defiantly be referring back to this when I start hacking up one of my stock setups.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insanekustomscc.com
Ian

Ian

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm

BusinessMan_24 wrote:
Excellent work, I’ll defiantly be referring back to this when I start hacking up one of my stock setups.

If you do, shoot me an email, and I can give you the specs on the dampers. I think Nissan used the same diameter strut tubes for most of their vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Custom Coilovers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Coilovers. Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Coilovers.
Page 1 of 1