HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Inner tie rod removal.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wes

Inner tie rod removal. Empty
PostSubject: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 pm

I have a seized Jam nut (not as painful as it sounds) on one of my inner tie rods. I have the replacement and both of them are perfectly round. They require a special tool that I can order for $50, however I am looking for alternative ideas to remove this thing. I gained better access to it by turnign the steering wheel to move the toe rod inward, however the Klein strap wrench I have could not remove it.

WHat have you guys used for this, small pipe wrench... Ideas? If not I will order the tool just thought I'd get some input if anyone has any.
Back to top Go down
greezmonkey

greezmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 pm

maybe a large vice grip?? I have used that on other vehicle before. Once it breaks free it isnt to hard to spin off.
Back to top Go down
BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 pm

If you can get a air hammer in there, all you need to do is give it a tap to break it loose then it comes right off. Or try a hammer and a punch to hit it counter clockwise.
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm

BORNGEARHEAD wrote:
If you can get a air hammer in there, all you need to do is give it a tap to break it loose then it comes right off. Or try a hammer and a punch to hit it counter clockwise.

The inner tie rod? I ordered a tool for it however it is on back order so now I have to bite the bullet and order the $50 tool...
Back to top Go down
jp314

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 pm

wes wrote:
BORNGEARHEAD wrote:

The inner tie rod? I ordered a tool for it however it is on back order so now I have to bite the bullet and order the $50 tool...

Sent you a PM on sr20forum.
I have the inner tie rod tool if you'd like to borrow it...
Back to top Go down
wes

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I actually used a set of Channel locks to remove and reinstall! I was able to move the fuel filter and get perfect access to it from above.... Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inner tie rod removal.   Inner tie rod removal. Empty

Back to top Go down

Inner tie rod removal.
Page 1 of 1